Options for Managing Your Pet's Allergies
Our veterinarians will work closely with you to find the right treatment or combination of treatments that can effectively control your pet’s allergies. Please keep in mind that since each pet is unique, it may take some trial and error to determine the right treatment for them.
Some of our common allergy medicines for dogs and cats and other treatments include:
- Immunotherapy injection (allergy shot) that desensitizes your pet to the allergen. An allergy blood test is required for this treatment.
- Cytopoint, an injection for dogs that relieves the itch for 4-6 weeks
- Apoquel, a daily tablet for dogs
- Atopica, a daily tablet for dogs, and oral solution for cats
- Prescription hypoallergenic diets
- Medicated shampoos and topical creams
- Antifungals to fight secondary fungal infections (from excessive itching and a broken skin barrier)
- Antibiotics to fight secondary bacterial infections (caused by infected wounds from itching)